Mostly surgeons don’t perform surgeries alone.Both the physician and athlete completely rely on the skilled team to create an favorable environment to work properly in order to do successful surgery.Anesthesia, registered nurses and scrub surgical technologist are the part of the team and highly trained to provide support to the surgical team during procedures.
Scrub Surgical Technologist.
On the basis of practical purposes, the operating room is usually divided in two zones.The area surrounding the patient is usually kept sterile in order to reduce the risk of complication or infection with the help of carefully or single-use sterilized instruments and with aseptic surfaces.Staff of this area is also kept sterile, covered with gowns and sterile gloves.That gowning and scrubbing process is referred to as “scrubbing in”.so surgical technologist and pre-operative working within the sterile field are usually called as scrub surgical technologist and scrub nurses.
Duties During Procedure.
A surgical technologist is sometimes called as scrubs.They prepare the equipment and instruments that are needed during the procedure.Prepare the patient now this is the duty that sometimes overlaps between surgical technologist and surgical nurse.Surgical technologist prepares the procedure room and maintains the environment sterile before during and after the procedure.Retraction and suction as directed during surgery are provided by the scrub technologist.Surgical technologist provides the necessary sponge, and other instruments and does this surgical technologist must have deep knowledge of the procedure and experience as well.Surgeon always want the desired instrument that he needs so that it does not break the surgeon concentration.
- Before surgery, a list of supplies is given to the technologist that are required in surgery during the whole procedure.
- The list included the surgeon demands that how does he want the room to be organized for the surgery.
- The area surrounding the patient during surgery is called as a sterile field.
- Surgery team including surgical technologist who is supposed to work in the sterile field must scrub and put sterile gowns and gloves.
- Surgical technologist first scrubs for the procedure and after that, it is the responsibility of the surgical technologist to assist the remaining team member in gowning and providing gloves.
Training And Certification.
Two-year degree or one-year associate degree is required to enter into this profession.By upgrading your degree and making your hand strong in clinical practice you will be able to become skilled surgical assistance.
According to the Bureau May 2011 statistics, an Average salary of the technologist is $42,460.
Amy Bumbalough Taylor says
This picture is hilarious. We DO NOT stand around the patient holding our hands in the air. Bwwhahaha